Thursday, September 29, 2016

Just Words

Today I picked up Abigail at school at 9:45. We drove and met Scott for her Gastroenterology appointment. It was such a gorgeous day here. Oh so sunny and cool. At the warmest part of the day I think it got up to 66. I wore a dark jean skirt, pink and white gingham shirt, blue polka dot flats, and pearls. The perfect fall, me, outfit. We pulled into the parking lot just about the same time as Scott and we walked in holding Abigail's hands.

I don't have a picture but it was such a sweet moment for me. And I think for Scott too. He's never missed a GI appointment to check on and determine the next journey with her EoE. There's something about pulling into that parking lot and waiting for 'daddy's car' to pull in right next to us. Maybe it's because it's just the three of us. Maybe it's because it's a bit of time 'stolen' from an otherwise normal school day. I'm not quite sure really, but I love those appointments. (or it could be that my heart skipped a beat when he pulls up and gets out of his car in his suit, that sparkle in his eyes, I'm still in love)

In the elevator, an older woman complimented Abigail on her mary jane shoes and lace ankle socks. She was sweet and said, "thank you".

When we checked in it must have been stuffed animal day. Every single patient was hanged a big, soft stuffed animal. She beamed and hugged it tight.

She was brought in and weighed. The nurse said, "you always wear such pretty outfits" (she was wearing a short cherry dress with cream lace on the Peter Pan color paired with light pink leggings)

But the best news of all was her weight gain. She's on a pretty crazy medicine for gaining weight since March. And it's working.

Dr. Hymns said he was proud of her. She told him about chorus in school and homework.

And we left with an endoscopy appointment on the calendar.

Holding hands back to the car and driving her back to school with a feeling of gratitude for this peanut daughter of mine. And my husband. And our little 'stolen' time together. And for fall, super sunny, and cool days.

Just so grateful.

And that I don't need a picture of. It's a feeling in my heart. These GI doctor visits since she was a baby are sweet to me. Of course we wouldn't wish EoE on her life and would erase it in a heartbeat but we make the most of it. And that means enjoying these lovely times together.

There is an abundance of blessing in struggles.  We just have to trust God and let him show us.

Yes, I don't need a picture of that. It's deep in my heart.

I know that Abigail will one day be grown. Perhaps there will come a time when she goes to GI appointments on her own. To her own grown up, not pediatric GI doctor. A time when she's long outgrow her little mary janes.  But I know her heart will have stored so many "pictures" of these special days.

and many years from now, long after we are gone,
these trees will spread their branches out and bless the dawn
so sit down and write that letter... 
SINK INTO ALL THAT MATTERS
let go of all that's passing
lift up the least of these 
LEAN INTO SOMETHING LASTING
planting trees  
She waters us with love and the children grow
so many years from now 
so many years from now, long after we are gone
these trees will spread their branches and bless someone. 

(song here) 







No comments:

Post a Comment