Wednesday, August 24, 2016

10 ~ Feeding the koi, Waimea Canyon, Enjoying "our" Beach

Dear Diary,

Watching Abigail play and run at the hotel beach is the most relaxing thing in the world. Scott loves to play with his girls.

They ran to the pool to join Anna and it started raining. I'm sitting under an umbrlla ounged at the pool.

Our morning was feeding the koi fish, drive to the town of Waimea. Long, very winding road up to the various canyon lookouts. Amazing. Annnnnd why didn't I take photos of the drive?

The coolest shave ice ever is at Jo-Jo's.

Oh, and shopping in the town of old Koloa 

I'm so grateful for this time with my family.

I really must get in the water now, bye!

1

Yes, that morning we went to feed the koi fish. The girls wanted to every single morning but this was the first morning we made it there when the little fish food was given out. The girls got their little cups and my camera lens was all foggy from the humidity. The only thing you can do is wait it out. So those girlies of mine waited and waited and waited for my lens to clear up. But in the meantime the crowd of little ones cleared up too and we had this whole lovely area to ourselves.

2

Seriously, such a beautiful lobby.

collage 3 5

4

6

7

8

collage 9 10

11

12

Waimea Canyon, Kauai

(link to website here) We drove through beautiful Kauai to a town about 1 hour away. The drive in Kauai is just as beautiful as the place you're headed. And I loved looking at everything. But we were a family with a plan that day. And Waimea Canyon was our plan.

This is the first lookout after driving up and up an up and up.

14

Apparently, Anna and I didn't get the 'wear sneekers'  memo so we were struggling later on the hike that day!

This was the view at the first lookout.

15

waiamea

collage 16 17

See those waterfalls waaaay off the distance? Well, 20 years ago Scott and I hiked there. Yup! Someday I'll get those pictures on digital files so I can show you.

18

See those tiny ant like people? That was us in 1996!

19

20

OH this view!

21

And then we drove to another lookout. This one had the hike to that waterfall.

collage 22

And then we realized that we were really adventurous back in 1996 and that this hike was one... difficult... hike. We didn't make it to the top of those waterfalls. But we did get to see this view.

23

Not too bad, right?

24

Love these people.

25

26

So if you ever find yourself in Kauai, please, please don't skip this.

27

The Best Shave Ice


Vacations do strange things to me. After spending our morning hiking and viewing we had a plan for lunch in a lovely town we had read about. But the girls were looking like they couldn't wait so I said, "dessert first! Who wants shave ice?"

I don't really know why Hawaii is known for shave ice. And this was our favorite place!  But I do know its lots of fun.

shave ice 4

This next picture is blurry but I had to put it in. Abigail was oh so tired but we found such a cute shave ice shop with the nicest kid behind the counter. He was whistling while working and answered all of my questions. He concocted this one for Abigail...

28

29

...and put that big, ol, smile across her face!

30

Anna was half done with hers before we could snap this one!

31

I have no photos of this town (that I adored) but I want to remember shopping, and walking around, and a lovely lunch. (here) 

We spent the rest of the day on this winding path leading to the pool and the beach...

32

33

34

35

36 37 collage

... when sometimes I just happened to have my camera ready for something like this.

38

39

Making memories far far away from home (out of my comfort zone for sure) was the best part of every day. More tomorrow... and for real, almost done!

1 comment:

  1. Absolutely breathtaking views! Would love to visit here one day. Thank you for sharing all these posts from your trip, I'm certainly enjoying them :-)

    Blessings,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete