Tuesday, August 25, 2015

The Night Before Seventh Grade

Anna 1 collage

Dear Anna,

At first I sat here without typing for quite a while because I had to get used to the words seventh grade.  Someday you will be a mother and understand how wonderful it is to have the painful feeling of 'getting used to' another year older, another grade higher.  It's wonderful because you know that with such sorrow to know you are growing up, there must be so much amazing love.  Feeling deep is what I do best.  You're getting older now and can see so much more of my heart.  And you can understand so much more of my feelings.  But just in case you wanted to know my feelings on this night.  The night before seventh grade there they are.

This summer felt like a big change in your life.  No, it didn't feel like a big change in your life.  There were, in fact, big changes in your life.  You've been handling them with such maturity, such grace.  I am so proud of you.  But do you know what I think of more than those growing up things this summer?  I think of our walks and running together.  We have spent so so so many hours together, just us, this summer.  And it was wonderful.  We found a place to talk, and to listen to each other.  I feel like I found a new daughter as I leaned closer to the one who was changing right before my eyes.  Every day we had that hour together where the noises in our home stopped and we had just us.  How I loved focusing on just you.  Do you know what?  I like you, I really, really like you.

Let me explain.  Of course there is a deep deep, profound love for you.  But as you slowly become the person God has called you to be I have found I really enjoy that person.  You are so much of me and so much of what I need.  You are silly and quirky.  And you don't care at all what others think of that part of your personality.  You are confident and don't worry about others thoughts.  You are bright and filled with love for your family.  And you will succeed in all that you do.

If I could give you one wish this night before seventh grade it is is this.  Be brave.  Step out of your comfort zone.  There just might be someone that will be your friend.  And be yourself.  Always be just who you are.  Because that is what you will need to bring to a friendship, yourself.  We love you  Anna, your cousins and grandparents love you.  And everyone who has met you wants to be with you more.  Share that just a little Anna.  When you're ready.  Because there is a whole school, a whole world out there that could use a bit of the 'friend' Anna you've shown me on all our long summer walks.

I adore being your mother.  And I love you so very much.  It's going to be a wonderful year.  I just know it.

Love,

mama

Anna and Abigail

The Night Before Sixth Grade is here

The Night Before Fifth Grade is here

The Night Before Fourth Grade is here

2 comments:

  1. Have a wonderful first day Anna! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking about you, Anna!!!
    Right this moment!
    Have a wonderful year, beautiful!!!!

    ReplyDelete