Thursday, September 7, 2023

Autumn in the Living Room

"We are in for a spell of perfect weather now, 

everyday luminous, 

every night brimmed with stars. 

Picnics at noon, supper by the applewood fire at night,

a walk in the cool moonlight before bed."

~Gladys Taber 


Although I'm not quite 'ready' to do one whole post of our home this autumn, (there are still some rooms I've yet to take pictures in & there's a big project going on in our kitchen) I thought since it's September, I'd just jump right in with one room. This is our living room and it's all ready for cozy nights, sunny and cool afternoons of viola playing, and just greeting us with a bit of fall. 

It's the room you see right as you enter our home from the front door and so I always want it to look pleasant. 

I've done lots of different styles in this room over the years -- oh gosh, sometimes when I look back I cringe. But really it all comes back to what this room is 'supposed' to look like. 

Our home was built in 1950 so I try to think back to that time and decorate in a more traditional way. This room is sunny a lot, and bright all the time with windows on two sides. It's a rather large room (for a colonial built in 1950). 

The sconces were added in last year and even though we added them in, I think they are in keeping with the time period of this home. 

There are actually no overhead ceiling lights in this room. It is entirely lit by lamps (and now the sconces). I would never all in ceiling lights to keep it traditional. This room is dark and cozy at night with all of the lamps, and bright and sunny during the day with the sun pouring in. 

Here is how I decorated for this autumn: 

1. My focus was on the mantle -- always playing off those sconces. 


2. I changed the white lampshades to green to add more depth. 

3. I found the hurricane glass for the candles at a thrift store and they are the perfect touch. 


4. I layered lots of greens, berries, and oranges. Most of this I already had and just had to pick up a few things for the ends to pull it all together. 


5. I love the way the green antique glass pulls all of that green together (from the wall color to the greens on the mantle) 


6. I took these pictures before Anna's viola went back to college with her. This side table has some yummy fall potpourri in it and I framed a painted I had with a thrifted natural wood colored frame. 


Such a cute scene in that painting. 





7. Look at this darling vase! I gasped when I saw it and snatched it right up. I love the fluted opening and the crackle look of it. It's a tiny size and love it so much! 


8. I added some fall stems in this green vase I've had since spring, and the glass is oh so beautiful, it's really a statement piece on its own. 


This is looking in from the family room. 


9. Books, books, books! I always decorate with books. This teacart is just the right size. 


"She sand a song, a song of home, 
A song that reach'd my heart. 
Home, home, sweet, sweet home. 
She sang the song of "Home Sweet Home," 
The song that reach'd my heart." 

~ Julian Jordan 

No comments:

Post a Comment