Tuesday, May 14, 2019

Anna's Confirmation

pre 1

I love {and kind of dislike} the feeling that something so wonderful is over.

No matter how much more there is to look forward to - no matter how much good is coming because of it happening -

- I just don't like it to end.

It's that warm, wonderful feeling - I want it to linger forever.

Even though I know they'll be more, I want this one to last forever.

There have been so many thousands of them in my married life - like when you lay your two year old down to sleep in her crib after her birthday is over that day and you know that she'll never be one again.

Like when you pack up those size 4T footie jamies that are worn so much because they were a favorite.

Like all of those times, I had one last night.

pre 2

Just before Anna took her shower late at night I leaned in and kissed her forehead - for the last time it would have that lovely oil from a sacrament. That sweet smell of chrism old still on her. I knew she was about to take a shower and that would be it.

It more than reminded me - it brought me right back to when she was baptized. I could almost feel it.

And in that moment last night I was oh so grateful. For the precious daughter that God entrusted to her daddy and I. And for the sacrament of Confirmation.

pre 4

We still have a family party in June (it was the best we could fit in with our girl very busy stuying for finals and finishing up her sophomore year) and so we still get to celebrate her sacrament but last night was wonderful and I don't want to forget it.

pre 3

I loved how the Bishop spoke about how we need to give of ourselves to really find ourselves. He was, of course speaking to the young adults in the room, but I instantly thought of my teaching and how I've given so much but how God has used it to find out about who I am in this next stage of life. I knew he was using that moment to whisper to my heart.

And I loved how when Anna came back from the alter and into the pew she told me that the Bishop took so much time with her and made it so personal. How they 'chatted' about her saint. He asked if she played an instrument. She told him viola and he said, "play it for Jesus". She was so touched, as was I, it was simply wonderful.

I want to remember how Scott took my hand as she walked down the aisle with her Confirmation sponsor and how proud of her we were. Just oh so proud.

I want to remember how the church looked. It was pouring rain outside and dark - but in the church is it was warm and delightful - filled with the Holy Spirit.

It's hard to describe really, I'll never get the words right. But I just want to remember.

Praise God, from whom all blessings flow;
Praise him, all creatures here below;
Praise him above, ye heav’nly host;
Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.

2 comments:

  1. That dress is gorgeous and what a memorable night!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love love love the smell of chrism oil! I totally get it ;)

    ReplyDelete