Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Springtime

4

Oh springtime in Connecticut... take a deep breath and smell the lilacs... sweet, isn't it?

2

We live in an old house. And she needs a lot of love in the springtime from us. She won't settle for one of those crews that come and do the 'spring clean up' in two hours. She's more of an old soul that requires all of us working in the yard. (okay, so really it's Scott but I do my part by 'holding down the fort' so to speak so he can tend to the hours and hours we call 'spring' in our yard) We turn the earth. We rake winter away. We stand in mud after a long rain to carefully slide the first of the annuals out of the pack and into the soil.

Mothers Day... flowering vines to grow up my trellis... I can hardly wait girls... grow.... grow... grow (not you Anna and Abigail... the vines) 
1

It's a big job but we wouldn't have it any other way.

2

The earth smells different than in does in the summer. There's really nothing like New England in the spring. Perhaps it is because of the harshness of winter. It all just feels so magical.

3

It's coming along nicely too. Everything is looking so sweet in our little yard.

5

And in our house too...

1

Scott's been working round the clock. For although spring is long and we really have plenty of time we have a little girl with a birthday party in May. So we really do have a deadline. At minimum the flowers must be planted, the grass tended to after a long winters sleep, and the mulch down. The rest can wait.

7

2

So that husband of mine (during the busiest work time of the year as a principal) worked round the clock when he was home to make spring happen in our front and back yard. And yes, I know how lucky I am that he loves a pretty yard too... swoon. There were times he was out so late he was working in the dark and up so early in the garden at 5 in the morning before work.

1

View from my kitchen sink... and a baseball game in the field beyond... now that's spring!
3

The hostas have all been split and replanted.  Check.  He splits and I get the fun job of telling him where we need to plant the other half.

6

And this past weekend we pulled off a big mermaid themed birthday bash in our swamp of a backyard. It rained and rained and rained the night before. But the sweet little girls stayed on the patio and the mulch (mostly). I've yet to look through those photos. But I will get them here just as soon as I can. I've got to run... a few annuls to water and then off to the girls school to volunteer. Happy spring!

2 comments:

  1. I love...no adore your house, Tara.
    Actually, it is not a house. It is a home. A home if there ever were one. : )
    And I have to say...I have to give a shout out to your hubby. I see him here so much...always supporting...always helping...always loving...
    You two are the perfect team.
    You are the example of marriage for us all. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your yard is beautiful Tara. I love the picture of your husband and the girls planting flowers. :)
    I hope you are having a wonderful week and look forward to seeing pictures of the party you hosted this weekend.

    ReplyDelete